Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Eat Healthy America

Working at T-Bell has really opened my eyes though about taking care of my body.  It's not like a vain thing so people will tell me I look good, but it's more like I want to be really healthy when I get pregnant, and just live a healthy lifestyle because parents are the bets example for their kids! And we want healthy kids!

We were talking the other day in the car about how much money the state and federal government must spend on fighting obesity and promoting a healthy lifestyle ($148 Billion just to treat the ailments in 2008, it's increased since then!), and I was getting so upset because I feel that the biggest reason children are having to be taught how to eat right and exercise by their schools and programs is because parents aren't doing it. I don't mean to offend anyone, but I think it's a parents responsibility to teach their children how to be healthy.  We don't have any kids yet, so it's probably hard for me to understand, but I would feel just terrible if I was setting a bad example for my kids.  To me there isn't a huge difference between smoking in front of your child and eating a big mac on a constant basis in front of them.  I'm all for having treats once in a while, and not depriving yourself and everything in moderation, but for adults to constantly be eating that food and then getting it for their children too, I just think it's not the same plan that I want to have when we start to grow our little family.

Alright.....so now I'm stepping off my soapbox!

On the bite side of things, I've found this awesome website called http://www.eatbetteramerica.com
it's simply wonderful!

Tonight were going to try a Chicken, Rice, and Beans Bake
 
Prep Time:20 min
Start to Finish:1 hr 10 min
makes:6 servings
1/4 cup Gold Medal® all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
2 1/2 to 3 pounds meaty chicken pieces (breast halves, thighs, and drumsticks), skinned
2 tablespoons oil

1 can (15 oz) Progresso® black beans, rinsed and drained
1 can (14.5 oz) Muir Glen® organic diced tomatoes, undrained
1 cup tomato juice
1 package (9 oz) Green Giant® frozen whole kernel corn
2/3 cup long grain rice
1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 cloves garlic, minced

1  Preheat oven to 375ºF. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine flour, 1 teaspoon of the chili powder, the salt, and pepper. Add half of the chicken pieces. Seal bag; shake to coat. Repeat with remaining chicken pieces.
2  In a very large skillet, brown chicken on all sides in hot oil over medium heat about 10 minutes, turning occasionally. Remove chicken from skillet and set aside; discard drippings in skillet. Add beans, undrained tomatoes, tomato juice, corn, uncooked rice, the remaining 1/2 teaspoon chili powder, the cayenne pepper, and garlic to the skillet. Bring to boiling. Transfer rice mixture to a 13x9x2-inch baking dish or 3-quart rectangular casserole. Arrange chicken pieces on top of rice mixture.
3  Bake, covered, for 45 to 50 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink (170ºF for breasts; 180ºF for thighs and drumsticks) and rice is tender.

Nutritional Information 

1 1/3 cups: Calories 350 (Calories from Fat 70); Total Fat 8g (Saturated Fat 1g, Trans Fat 0g); Cholesterol 65mg; Sodium 600mg; Total Carbohydrate 44g (Dietary Fiber 6g, Sugars 5g); Protein 28g % Daily Value Vitamin A 15; Vitamin C 30; Calcium 6; Iron 20 Exchanges 2 1/2 Starch, 2 1/2 Lean Meat, 0 Fat Carbohydrate Choices 3

1 comment:

  1. it IS the parents responsibility! I truly think that it counts as negligent parenting to not provide healthy food and teach children about eating healthy and the importance of it.

    ReplyDelete