Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Oh Cakes

I'm been trying to get some hobbies lately, because when Brynlee is alseep, the house is clean, and my homework is done for the day I just feel board.  Especially on the weekends because even though Ben has Saturday off, he usually has to spend at least 8 hours playing catch up on homework.  

So I've been experimenting with cakes.

Here's the valuable lessons that I've learned.

  1. I am not a professional so my cakes will not look exactly how I want them to. 
  2. Fondant is the devil. Period.  
  3. When you think you've followed the directions to a T, just wait...something will happen.  
  4. It's okay to practice on Styrofoam   In fact I 100% recommend it if you are doing technique that you aren't familiar with.  No sense in wasting cake.  Decorate the Styrofoam how you want and then wipe all the frosting off and do it again.  
  5. Butter cream is delicious and your child will go nuts over it. 
  6. Remember that decorating a cake is supposed to be fun!
  7. Sometimes simple is better


2 comments:

  1. Thanks! It was so easy to do. I used this youtube video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHYX0qXDVy0

    ReplyDelete